Aubergine are a great, smoky vegetable. We love them fried and dribbled in honey as well, but this dish is great as a veggie main or as a side with grilled meat. Twice Cooked Aubergine is a great way to enjoy a great mix of Aubergine and Artichoke.
Its not fast to make, but it is easy and is one of those dishes that is great the next day. Its also great with some flat breads.
Twice Cooked Aubergine
- 2 Aubergines
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Onion - Sliced
- 80 grms Artichoke Hearts
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Lemon Zest
- Cut each Aubergine in half and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Leave for 30 minutes and then wipe clean with a paper towel.
- Bake the Aubergine for 1 hour 30 minutes in the oven on low 140°C, 280°F
- Allow to cool, and then scoop out the flesh
- Fry the onion for a few minutes until soft, and add in the garlic, Cumin, and Paprika and cook for a few minutes
- Then add in the cooked Aubergine and mix. Allow to simmer on a very low heat for 30 minutes. Then add in the Artichoke hearts and lemon zest.
This is also great with some Hummus.