This is a low spice version of a Vegan Tarka Dal. Served as a side dish with curry or with rice for a filling main meal. The ‘tarka’ bit is the fried onions on top – they really do add a great deal to the dish. One of my all-time favourite takeaway recipes and I can now do it at home! Yippee
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Gluten
- March 22, 2019
- Print this
- 300 g yellow split peas
- 1000 ml (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 7 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 inch piece of ginger – grated
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 onion – finely sliced
- Step 1
- Rinse the peas under running water and then put them in a large pot.
- Step 2
- Add the stock, garlic, tomato, ginger, cumin powder and salt.
- Step 3
- Bring to the boil and let it bubble away for an hour to an hour and a quarter
- Step 4
- Stir it occasionally.
- Step 5
- Check the seasoning and add a bit more salt it you like, or ¼ tsp of chilli powder if you like it a bit spicy. Keep an eye on the consistency and add a bit more stock if you like it a bit runnier.
- Step 6
- During the last 15 minutes fry the onions until they are a golden brown.
- Step 7
- Once the Dal is cooked, mix in the coriander and sprinkle with onions.
Vegan Tarka Dal is nice served with a bit of Coconut Rice