Stuffed Aubergine is a great vegan dinner, it’s not a quick recipe, but it’s easy and tastes great. We add in Vegan Cheese, both in the stuffing mix, and on top of the baked Aubergine. We serve it with a green leaf side salad. Plan one Aubergine per person.
- May 7, 2020
- Print this
- 3 Aubergines
- Olive Oil and Salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 3/4 cup chopped courgette
- 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Vegan Cheese (another 1/3 cup for the top)
- Optional - 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Step 1
- Cut the Aubergine in half down the middle so you have ‘boats’. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. With a small knife make shallow diagonal cuts across the Aubergine. Leave to sit for 30 minutes then brush off the salt
- Step 2
- Place on a baking tray and bake the Aubergine for 45 minutes at 350°F, 180°C.
- Step 3
- Once cooked take out and allow to cool, then scoop out the flesh taking care not to break the delicate skin of the Aubergine.
- Step 4
- Grab a large frying pan and add a glug of olive oil. Fry the aubergine flesh, onions, mushrooms, courgette and garlic until coloured. Add in the tomatoes and allow the mixture to burble away for a few minutes.
- Step 5
- Stir in the cooked rice and the cheese. Add the walnuts if using.
- Step 6
- Pile the mix into the Aubergine skins, top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F 180°C.