Stem Ginger Dairy Free Shortbread is one of my absolute favourites – and with the improvement in dairy free butters these cookies are just great. This is a great Dairy Free Shortbread – packed with finely chopped Stem Ginger to give that perfect Christmas flavour.
The solid blocks of dairy free butter are what you’re looking for – so Flora or Naturli are both really good for baking. The soft vegan butters don’t give as good a result with shortbread.
I love Ginger – in dinner recipes or baking – cakes, cookies or custards it’s a fabulous taste. Stem Ginger plus some candied Walnuts make this a lovely combination.
Dairy Free Stem Ginger Shortbread
- 3/4 Cup Dairy Free Butter - Naturli or Flora are good. Use the blocks, not the soft butters in a tub
- 1/3 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 3/4 Cup Plain Sifted Flour
- 1/4 Cup Fine Group Semolina
- 1 Tbsp Stem Ginger - finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- Preheat oven to 170℃, 345℉
- Finely chop the Stem Ginger - I found one ball was about right to get 1 Tbsp.
- Cream the vegan butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Mix the Ginger in with the Flour and add to the creamed sugar and butter mixture. Add in the Semolina and mix until a soft dough.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan heat the sugar and nuts for a few minutes. The sugar will melt and the nuts will toast. Tip onto greaseproof paper and allow to cool. Break up into smaller pieces once cooled to fit nicely onto the cookies
- Roll out on a floured board and cut into the desired shape and top with a Walnut .
- Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Cool on a wire rack
Other fab Dairy Free shortbread ideas here: