Our Spicy Aubergine and Roast Tomatoes is a great vegetarian dish to serve with rice, or you can use it as a side with grilled lamb. Slow cooking Aubergines really brings out the best in them, and this is a super easy dish. It really is just combining everything and then popping them into the oven for an hour or so. You can vary the spice level as you like – I prefer it to have a bit of a kick.
This is one of those great mid week recipes – you can get home, pop it all in the oven and get on with other things while it quietly cooks away. All you need is some nice rice and you’re done. You can, if you like, serve with a bit a salad as well.
Spicy Aubergine and Roast Tomatoes
- 1 Large Aubergine - cut up
- 4 Vine Tomatoes
- 1 Red Pepper - cut into quarters
- 1/2 Onion - Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Hot Paprika You can use Smokey Paprika, or reduce to 1/2 Tsp of Hot Paprika if you like
- 1/4 Tsp Chilli Powder
- A couple of tablespoons Olive Oil
- Preheat your oven to 150°C, 300°F
- Cut up the Aubergine into chucks, wash and put to one side. Chop the Tomatoes in half, and the Pepper into quarters.
- Fry the Onion in a bit of Olive Oil. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables and toss in the hot, spiced oil. Put into a casserole with a lid.
- Put into the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. After half an hour gently stir the vegetables in the casserole.
- This is a great dish the next day as well, simple to reheat on the stove top or in the microwave. Serve with plain rice as a main, or with grilled meat as a side.
If you’re looking for some other great vegetarian dishes take a look: