I love cabbage – there…I said it! Green cabbage is great lightly steamed with a bit of soya sauce but during the winter – Red Cabbage all the way. This recipe has Star Anise, Orange Juice and Apples in it along with some lovely winter spices.
I use to cook red cabbage on a low temp for ages…but I was in a rush recently so decided to see if I could do something faster. I popped it in a shallow dish, put the oven on high, cooked for 10 minutes and then covered with aluminium foil for another 20 minutes and voila! Fast and tasty.
If you’re looking for other tasty vegetable recipes take a look at our Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes!
Spiced Red Cabbage
- 1 Red Cabbage, slice up pretty think
- 2 Apples Peeled and then using a peeler slice the apple into ribbons You'll be left with the core
- 5 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 150 ml Orange Juice
- 50 ml Water, or veg stock If needed
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 180°C 360°F
- Cut the cabbage in half, then slice thinly
- Peel your apples, then using the peeler, peel 'ribbons' of apple. You'll be left with the core
- Mix the cabbage and apple ribbons with the Cinnamon, Cloves and Star Anise
- Put in a shallow dish, and pour over the orange juice and lemon juice.
- Pop in the oven, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Then give it a stir, cover with tin foil, and cook for a further 20 minutes.