We love fish and seafood, and what I love about a good Dairy Free Seafood Stew is that it’s got such a nice, warming, mix of fish and seafood. Add in some Kale, and some Fennel and it’s a great meal. We put Chorizo into ours, but you can leave that out if you’re not a fan and it will still be lovely.
The actual cooking time of this is quite short, there’s more time spent with all the cutting up of the fish and cleaning of the mussels. I think it’s best served with a nice crusty brown bread, but a baguette would be nice too. Anything to soak up the delicious broth.
You really can use whatever fish you like – we use Seabass and Salmon along with Scallops, Mussels and Prawns. I find the little Scallops you can find in supermarkets don’t have a tonne of flavour, so we go for the big ones from the fish counter.
Dairy Free Fish Stew
- 2 Seabass Fillets
- 1 Salmon Fillet
- 8 Scallops
- 6 Prawns
- 10-12 Mussels
- 60 Grms Chorizo
- 1/3 Bulb Finely sliced Fennel
- 4 Leaves Kale, finely sliced
- 2 Tsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander (or Parsley if you prefer)
- 150 Mil White Wine
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Chopped Red Chilli
- 250 Mil Fish stock
- 1/2 Tsp Saffron
- 1/2 Small Onion, diced
- Pop the Saffron in the Fish stock and leave to one side
- Skin, and cut up the fish fillets into cubes, and wash and debeard your mussels
- Fry the onion in a little oil for a few minutes, add in the chorizo, paprika, tomato paste, chilli and fennel. Fry until the chorizo releases it's lovely oil - a few minutes should be enough.
- Add in the white wine, stir and add in the mussels. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or so. The mussels should open up when cooked (any that don't you need to throw out).
- Add in the stock mixture, all the fish and cook for 2 minutes. Then add in the prawns, scallops and kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the prawns are bright pink and the scallops firm. Add in the lemon juice and sprinkle in the coriander.
If you fancy some other fish dishes…