These are really pretty Gluten Free and Vegan Rose Petal Cookies. As I’m really suffering with my wheat allergy these days we’re doing a lot more gluten free bakes. If you roll these thin, then they are crispy, if you go for a thicker cookie then they are lovely but a bit more crumbly. We go thick; but that’s greed.
Using Icing Sugar instead of granular sugar gives a slightly different texture which goes really well with the Rose Water. If you don’t like floral, then omit the Rose and just increase the Vanilla by ½ tsp. You could do these with Wheat Flour – just omit the Xanthan Gum and reduce the flour to 2.5 cups.
Free From: Gluten, Eggs, Dairy and Soya
Rose Pebble Cookies
- 1 Cup Dairy-Free Margarine
- 1 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar (sifted)
- 1 tsp Orgran Egg Replacer plus 1 tbsp Water whisked together
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Rose Water
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 2 3/4 Cups Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Pinch of Salt
- Mix of Gel Food Dyes (I used pink and purple in varying strengths to get different hews)
- Sift the icing sugar and cream together (mix until light and fluffy looking) with the margarine, vanilla, Rosewater and egg replacer.
- Mix in the flour, Xanthan Gum, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and combine into a soft dough.
- Roll into a ball, cover with cling film and chill for 2 hours.
- Now choose your colours. Divide the dough into four. I chose pink and purple. About ¼ tsp of gel dye to get pale colours, and about ¾ tsp to get dark colours. Mix the food dyes in, you’ll have to use your hands to knead the dough. Leave streaks to make it interesting.
- Then take ‘bits’ of dough from each colour type and kneed them together briefly. You are not combining into one brown mess. You are mixing them briefly to get a marble effect with the dough.
- Roll out either thin or thick and cut into desired shapes – I used an egg-shaped cutter for these. For the twists, I rolled the dough into snakes with my hands and twisted two strands together and then cut into the desired length and pinch the ends.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes depending on thickness and cool on a wire rack.
Fancy a gluten free cupcake instead? Fancy our Vegan, Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Cupcakes.