Roasting the vegetables for our Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Pasta Sauce gives a great depth of flavour. We add Anchovies to the sauce as it works so well with the roasted vegetables, if you want to avoid Fish then substitute for 1 Tsp of Red Miso Paste, or 1 Tsp Mushroom powder to get a similar taste.
This is a great mid week meal, and like all sauces the flavours of this Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Pasta Sauce develop over time. So it’s great reheated with a dash of Red Wine to loosen it up a bit during the reheating.
Two things add the flavour to this dish – roasting the vegetables and the anchovies. If you don’t think you like anchovies give this a go anyway. They disintegrate in the sauce and give a lovely, not fishy, flavour.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 2 Red Peppers
- 6 Tomatoes
- 4 Anchovies Or 1 Tsp Red Miso Paste
- 5 Garlic Cloves - minced
- 1/2 Chopped Onion
- 1 Tin Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Capers
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine
- 1 Tsp Chilli Flakes
- 4 Tbsp Sliced Black Olives
- Cut the Peppers in half, deseed, and cut again into quarters. Cut the Tomatoes in half. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake at 190C, 370F for 35 minutes.
- Peel the Peppers (the skins will be nicely charred) and chop up.
- Fry the onion and garlic in a bit of oil until they begin to brown, then add in the anchovies and cook for a few minutes. Add in the Chilli Flakes.
- Pour in the wine, Balsamic, and the tin of Tomatoes and stir. Add in the roasted Tomatoes (break them up with a spoon) and chopped Peppers. Bring up to a simmering point and add in the Capers and Olives and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with a bit of Salt and Pepper if you wish.
- Serve with your favourite Pasta
Some other lovely dishes to try: