There’s nothing more comforting than soup, and autumn is a great time to start eating soup again. We love Roast Tomato Soup – the tomatoes are sweet from being roasted, the garlic smokey and by adding rice it becomes a filling meal. We throw some grated vegan mozzarella cheese on top of our Roast Tomato Soup, but you can add in croutons if you prefer!
If you fancy some other soups take a look at some of our other recipes – all dairy and egg free or course. This is a fabulous soups but you need to like garlic for our Roasted Garlic and Kale Soup! Roasting the garlic gives it a wonderful smokey flavour.
Roast Tomato and Garlic Soup
- 3 lbs Fresh Tomatoes (about 12 medium tomatoes)
- 5 Cloves Garlic (with the skin on)
- 1/3 Cup Basmati Rice (optional)
- 2 tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Onion (chopped)
- Preheat your oven to 200°c 400°F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place cut side up on the baking sheet.
- Add in the garlic cloves, keeping the skin on. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes until the edges begin to char.
- While the tomatoes are roasting fry the onions in a little olive oil until dark and sticky.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, skin the garlic and whizz together the tomatoes, garlic and onions until smooth. I leave the skins on, but if you don't like that texture then wait until the tomatoes are cool and remove the skins.
- Add in the vegetable stock to get the consistency you like - I like it quite thick.
- Put it the soup back on the stove, and stir in the Basil.
- If you are adding the rice then put the soup back on the stove, add the rice, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Top with vegan cheese or croutons!