We love Chicory, it’s great raw in a salad. You have to like the slightly bitter bite but that’s the point of having something other than a bit of lettuce. It’s also lovely when roasted, which we’ve done here. You can just roast it for 15 minutes in a drizzle of olive oil seasoned with salt and pepper if you wish – it’s lovely as a side dish. For this dish we’ve roasted the Chicory and added in caramelized pears and some walnuts. The pears and walnuts make this a lovely combination.
Roast Chicory and Pear Salad
- March 15, 2020
- Print this
- 2 heads Chicory
- 2 small pears
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/8th cup chopped Walnuts
- Salt, Pepper and a drizzle of Olive Oil
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 200°C 400°F
- Step 2
- Slice the Chicory in two longways and place on a baking sheet, drizzle with a bit of Olive Oil, season with Salt and Pepper and roast for 15 minutes
- Step 3
- Cut the pears into slices, add to a frying pan with a tsp of dairy free butter and heat. Add in the brown sugar and cover the pear slices evenly. Cook until the Pear is a lovely caramelized colour
- Step 4
- Chop up the Walnuts and keep to one side
- Step 5
- When the Chicory is done allow it to cool for a few minutes and then slice each half in half again
- Step 6
- Arrange on a plate, add the Pears and Walnuts and serve.
If you fancy the idea of serving with Flat Breads here is our recipe.