Vegan Coconut Soup one of those ‘its cold, it’s lunchtime, I want soup’ recipes. You can make your Red Thai Curry paste yourself (I’ve done it when I’m in the mood) but having a jar of good Thai Curry Paste in the house is super handy. This is a Coconut based soup – packed with brown rice and shredded vegetables. You can add in protein if you like – small cubes of tofu would be good or left over chicken if you’re a meat eater.
Equally you could put rice noodles into the broth instead of brown rice, but when it comes to soup I find rice just easier to eat.
Vegan Coconut Soup
- 4 Tsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 Tsp Red Miso Use white if you have it
- 1 Tsp Mashed Lemongrass You can do this yourself, or buy a pot in the supermarket
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice (1/8th of a cup uncooked will give you what you need) Or more if you want a thicker soup you can cook 1/4 cup rice instead of 1/8th
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Cabbage
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Spinach
- 1 Medium Carrot - Grated
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- 1 Tin Coconut Milk
- 100 ml Coconut Cream If you only have coconut milk, use the solid white coconut that separates out at the top of the tin for this. Or omit altogether - the soup is still lovely, just a bit less coconuty.
- 1 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Red Chilli - chopped
- In a large pan fry the garlic and chilli in a little oil. Then add in the Red Thai Paste, Miso and Lemongrass. Fry briefly and stir to combine to a smooth paste.
- Whisk in your stock, coconut milk, and coconut cream and bring to a simmer
- Add in your vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add in the cooked brown rice and heat through. If you are adding in Tofu cubes do it now (same if you are adding in any other protein).
- I like to top it with dried fried onions (you can get these at any supermarket)
Here are some other soup recipes to take a look at.