There’s no doubt that dairy free risotto is one of those dishes that takes time and patience. You can’t rush this. Give yourself the time to do it properly and slowly. Yes you do have to stand over the pot stirring. But once you commit yourself to the process it’s not a big deal.
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soya
Pea and Mint Risotto
- March 21, 2019
- Print this
- ½ onion chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 400g risotto rice
- 150ml white wine
- 500ml vegetable or chicken stock – hot
- 2/3rds cup frozen peas
- Bunch of mint chopped finely
- Step 1
- Put the stock in a pan on a low heat. Grab a ladle or measuring cup to have handy.
- Step 2
- Have the wine ready by the side of the stove and measure out the peas.
- Step 3
- Grab a large pan with a wide base. Add the olive oil and heat gently, then add in the onion and cook until soft (about 10 minutes) but not coloured.
- Step 4
- Turn up the heat a bit and add the rice. Now is the time that you start stirring. You want to ‘toast’ the rice, not cook it. So a few stirs with the spoon as the rice sizzles for a minute or so. Throw in the wine – it will sizzle and evaporate – yes stir as this happens.
- Step 5
- Grab your ladle and add some stock. Stir as you go. Only add about ½ cup at a time and make sure that the stock is completely absorbed before adding more. This is the bit where you stir all the time – don’t leave it and allow the rice to bubble away. On my stove a medium/low heat works best. You want a constant bubble, not a fast boil. If you add the stock to quickly the rice will be mushy on the outside and hard on the inside so go slowly.
- Step 6
- Once most of the stock has been added throw the peas into the remaining stock to heat up. Keep adding the stock but don’t add the peas just yet. The whole process takes about 20-25 minutes.
- Step 7
- Once the risotto is cooked – the rice will keep its shape and have a bit of a bite. Add the mint, and the peas. Stir to combine and serve immediately. Serve with lemon wedges if you want a dash of citrus.
- Step 8
- We top it with Salmon or Scallops. For the salmon just bang it in the oven at 180°C, 370°F for 20 minutes.