Cupcakes and cakes are wonderful – plain, drizzled with caramel sauce, or topped with icing. Here are our favourite recipes for vegan icing.
Three types of dairy free icing work nicely on cupcakes – the fluffy vegan buttercream, a stiffer version for decorating, or a lovely glaze for drizzling.
Dairy Free Icing Options
- March 19, 2019
- Print this
- 3/4 cup non dairy margarine (Pure Sunflower is good)
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp Rice Dream or hot water
- Just mix with a fork.
- Step 1
- Step 2
- If you’re after lime – use lime juice, orange flavour – orange juice…you get the idea. For chocolate add in 1/4 cup of cocoa for a light chocolate, or 1/3 for a richer chocolate icing. I find kids prefer the lighter version. If I’m doing chocolate icing then I add in a teaspoon of chocolate essence, if I’m doing orange icing then I add in 1 tsp of orange essence, same for coconut, mint or lemon.
- Step 3
- Beat the margarine until fluffy – If you want a thicker icing for decorating then replace half the dairy free margarine with Trex Vegetable Fat and it will be much firmer. The firm buttercream is what you need if you are doing flowers or any decoration that needs to ‘hold’. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 minutes (I have to scrape down the side of the bowl with a spatula, or I get covered with icing sugar when I put the beaters in). Add the vanilla (and any other flavouring you are using) and non dairy milk or flavouring liquid of your choice. Beat for another 5 minutes until fluffy.
- Step 4
- You can then pipe this onto the cupcakes. If you don’t have a piping bag and fancy nozzles don’t worry. Grab a sandwich bag, clip off a corner and load it with icing. You can then pipe away quite happily.