We came across Honey Fried Aubergine in a local tapas restaurant and decided to try to recreate it at home. It’s super simple and really lovely. If you can have gluten then just omit the Xanthan Gum and use wheat flour. This isn’t vegan as it uses Honey, it might be nice with maple syrup if you’re vegan.
Free From: Dairy, Eggs, Gluten, Soya
Honey Fried Aubergine
- March 22, 2019
- Print this
- 2 Aubergines – sliced, about 4mm thick. You don’t want really thin slices or it will cook too quickly
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- ½ tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 tablespoons of runny honey
- Olive Oil
- Step 1
- Slice the aubergines into reasonably thick slices – about 4mm will do. You want them to hold their shape.
- Step 2
- Put into a colander and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of sea salt. Leave for one hour. When the hour is up pat them dry with kitchen paper.
- Step 3
- Put the gluten free flour and Xanthan Gum on a large plate and season with salt and pepper
- Step 4
- One by one put the aubergine slices into the flour and pat the flour down so it sticks to each slice. It won’t be a thick covering – more of a dusting.
- Step 5
- Dusted with flour
- Step 6
- Heat the oil and fry the slices a few at a time. Turn over when nicely browned – about 3 minutes a side.
- Step 7
- Keep them warm (in an oven set at the lowest temp) and continue until you have fried them all.
As part of a Tapas night it’s a lovely dish – hummus is great with this type of meal so here’s our Caramelised Onion Hummus Recipe.