I know this is easy…but it’s taken me a stupid amount of time to get this right. I think I’ve been mixing too many vegetables up in the past – ones that don’t have a similar water quantity so they cook at different times. Now I’m sure that you can put them in the oven at different points but I either forget, or seem to get the timings wrong. So when grilling vegetables I stick to ones that take a similar cooking time and have a similar density.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- March 22, 2019
- Print this
- 3 courgettes
- 3 red, yellow or orange peppers or a mix (I don't like green!)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or demerara sugar
- 3 medium Portobello mushrooms plus 1 tablespoon dairy free margarine
- Step 1
- Preheat your oven to 200°C, 390°F
- Step 2
- Slice the courgettes lengthwise to get a long slice of the vegetable – about 3 mm thick will do. I don’t like them in little circles – they disappear to nothing.
- Step 3
- Chop the peppers into quarters, and then cut each quarter in half (lengthwise). Again so you’ve a long slice of pepper that’s similar shape to the courgette.
- Step 4
- Toss the vegetables in olive oil. Sprinkle the demerara sugar over them and toss again.
- Step 5
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a roasting pan and pop it into the oven for 5 minutes
- Step 6
- When the oil is hot toss in the vegetables – the pan should sizzle a bit.
- Step 7
- Put the mushrooms in the pan as well – dotted with dairy free margarine. They will just sit there and cook untouched.
- Step 8
- After 10 minutes turn the courgettes and peppers over, and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are caramelised and brown at the edges.
- Step 9
- Serve warm, or at room temperature with hummus and flatbread.
- Step 10