Gluten Free Gram bread is simple to make, and naturally gluten free as it’s made with Gram Flour (known as Chickpea flour). It’s the same flour used when making Onion Bhajis. This is an old recipe I use to make as a teenager back in Canada. I brought the recipe over when I moved to the UK in 1984. It’s not my recipe, but I haven’t a clue who’s it is as I copied recipes into a book to bring with me.
This is a lovely, dense loaf. Beautiful on the day, best toasted on the following days (in my opinion). It has a lovely taste, and is a great snack. Obviously its not a ‘sandwich’ type bread, but very enjoyable as it is.
If you fancy some Soda Bread that’s super simple to make check out our recipe here.
It’s not gluten free, but it is vegan.
Gluten Free Gram Bread
- November 5, 2020
- Print this
- 3 3/4 cups Graham Flour
- 1/4 cup Ground Flaxseed
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups Vegan Buttermilk (2 cups dairy free milk, 1/4 cup dairy free yoghurt and 1 tsp vinegar - mixed and left to sit for 10 minutes)
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350°F 170°C
- Step 2
- Grease the sides of loaf tin, and line the bottom with greaseproof paper
- Step 3
- Make the buttermilk and put to one side
- Step 4
- Mix the Gram flour, flaxseed, salt and sugar together to combine
- Step 5
- Mix in the buttermilk
- Step 6
- Pour into the loaf tin, smooth the top and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick comes out clean. It may take another 15 minutes so don’t rush to take it out as it will be mushy in the middle
- Step 7
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy