Sugar cookies are great; simple, crisp, and they last for ages in a cookie jar or tin. We decorate with edible glitter so you get a beautiful finish without upping the sugar content. It’s a Christmas tradition in our house – Molly and I have a real giggle decorating the sugar cookies. So…here I was messing with tradition. Always risky. But its worth it to find a good gluten free, vegan sugar cookie.
I didn’t tell anyone that they were gluten free; just handed them around as normal and got the normal happy response. They do come out a bit crisper than cookies made with wheat flour but that’s not a bad thing! And I found they took a little longer to get brown so the cooking time is a bit longer (which is why, I suppose, they are crisper). I do think that they need the colour so it’s worth it. I was delighted with the result.
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Soya, Gluten
Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
Vegan Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 Cup Dairy-Free Margarine
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp Egg Replacer plus 4 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 1/2 Cups Gluten Free Flour (I like Doves Farm)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cream the margarine and sugar until you have a nice light-looking mixture – a good 4 minutes on a high setting.
- Add the egg replacer to the water and whisk – you should get a nice foamy-looking mixture.
- Beat in the egg replacer and vanilla.
- Blend in flour, baking powder, salt and Xanthan Gum.
- Chill for 1 hour – the dough really needs this so don’t rush it.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick and cut out into desired shapes and decorate as you like. We use edible glitter and edible writing pens to get the end result. A few sugar balls always make an entrance as well.
- Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
If you’re looking for a Gluten Free Cupcake check out these Cinnamon beauties.