These Gluten Free, Vegan Banana Chocolate Cupcakes are wonderful. Full of dark chocolate, and kept moist by using banana to bind the gluten free flour together.
When making vegan, gluten free cupcakes that have fruit or chocolate chips in them I often add a banana to give moisture and density. Without the banana I find any added ingredients tend to sink to the bottom as the mixture can be a bit light. Wonderful if you are adding a delicate flavour like rose water, not so much if you want a hit of chocolate chips!
Free From: Gluten, Eggs, Dairy
Gluten Free, Vegan Banana Chocolate Cupcakes
- February 27, 2019
- Print this
- 1 ½ cup Gluten Free Flour
- 2/3 cup Granulated or Caster sugar
- ½ tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Dairy free milk - I use Koko
- 2/3 cup Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 6 Tbsp Melted Vegan Margarine, or plain oil
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- Step 1
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, Xanthan gum and sugar
- Step 2
- Melt the margarine and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Step 3
- Add in the apple cider, mashed banana, vanilla, melted margarine and milk.
- Step 4
- Mix until you have a nice smooth batter.
- Step 5
- With a spoon stir in the chocolate chips.
- Step 6
- Fill the muffin cases 2/3rd of the way up and bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Step 7
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then on a wire rack.
- Step 8
- Decorate with vegan buttercream icing -To get the effect in the picture do the vanilla buttercream first, then remove half of the buttercream and put in a bowl. Add in 1 tsp of chocolate flavouring and ¼ cup of cocoa. Mix thoroughly. Fill your piping bag with both buttercreams side by side. That way you’ll get a mix when you pip.
- Step 9
- To create the chocolate hearts melt ½ cup of chocolate in a bowl on top of a pan of boiling water. Load the melted chocolate into a piping bag with a small round nozzle and pipe shapes onto greaseproof paper. Allow to dry and peel off to decorate the cupcakes.