All of our recipes are vegan, and therefore our gluten free recipes are vegan too. A lot of gluten free baking uses eggs to lift and bind which we can’t do. So we use the egg replacers such as banana, flax, applesauce to bind and vinegar, baking powder and baking soda for lift. Here’s what we’ve found baking egg, dairy and wheat free:
3. I find baking at a slightly lower temperature works better and helps keep things moist.
4. Gluten free baked goods don’t have the same shelf life as those with wheat flour. After two days I find they go hard (cakes). Cookies last a few days longer. You can freeze and thaw as needed.
5. Xanthan Gum is essential to gluten free baking. If you’re converting from a wheat flour recipe to gluten free add in 1/2 tsp of Xanthan Gum to help bind.
6. Banana is a good addition as it adds moisture (1/2 cup ripe banana mashed up)
7. There are a lot of good commercial gluten free flour mixes out there. Best to go for one that has a combination of alternative grains. I love Doves Farm.