Vegan Garlic and Kale Soup is a wonderful lunch – roasting the garlic gives a smokey, deep flavour. Add in some kale, chopped runner beans, cannellini beans and you’ve a meal in a bowl. You can use cabbage if you don’t have kale. The same goes for the runner beans, french beans are fine. We use kale and runner beans because it’s what we’re growing in our garden.
My new favourite product is ready to cook thin Rice Noodles. Naturally gluten free, they take 2 minutes to cook so are simple to add to soups. I’ve taken to making Miso Soup, adding some fried kale and rice noodles for a quick nutritious lunch. If you’re thinking of doing a stir fry – you can replace the rice by adding in these noodles to make a great one pot dish.
This soup is part of my…its winter coming so lets eat more garlic…drive. I love roasting garlic with a Sunday Roast, now we’ve a lovely soup as well.
Vegan Garlic and Kale Soup
- 1 1/2 litres Vegetable Stock
- 2/3 Cup Shredded Kale
- 1 Tin Cannellini Beans
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Runner Beans (or any beans you like)
- 1 Head Garlic
- 100 g Fresh Rice Noodles
- Separate out the garlic cloves and roast with the skin on, in an oven at 200°C, 400°F for 30 minutes. When roasted allow to cool and peel.
- Prepare the stock in a large pot and bring it to a low simmer.
- Add the garlic and whizz with a hand blender until the garlic is reduced to tiny pieces.
- Add in the kale, and cannellini beans, beans and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until the green beans are cooked but still have some bite to them.
- Add in the rice noodles, heat through and serve immediately with thick-cut brown bread.