I have a soft spot for meatballs…I think they are some of the best comfort food going. Our Egg Free Lamb Meatballs with Pasta is a fabulous dish. You can make the meatballs in large batches so that you can freeze some for later. That means you can just defrost in the evening and have a great mid week supper. Using a commercial egg replacer does work reasonably well, but the meatballs will be more delicate than those bound with eggs so when browning them they need to be handled carefully.
We serve our Egg Free Lamb Meatballs and Pasta Egg Free with quick fried Kale on the side, but a green salad would be nice too. Dairy Free Feta is available in a lot of big supermarkets but it works really well in this dish – both Violife and Sheese do Greek style cheese which is the alternative to traditional Feta.
Egg Free Lamb Meatballs and Pasta
- 400 g Lamb Mince
- 1 Onion - diced
- 3/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 7 Cloves of garlic - 3 for the meatballs, 4 for the pasta
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Lemons - zest for the meatballs, juice for the pasta
- 25 grms Parsley
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Fine Oats or 1 egg worth of commercial egg replacer
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 200 mls Red Wine
- 500 mls Stock - Lamb or Chicken
- 200 Grms Pasta - Orzo or similar very small pasta
- 75 Grms Vegan Feta - Violife is good
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- Chop the onion finely. Mix in with the Lamb, Lemon Zest, chopped Parsley, 3 minced cloves of Garlic, the Cumin, Paprika, Oats and Breadcrumbs.
- Form into meatballs - I get about 10-12 depending on size.
- Add a bit of oil to a frying pan and gently fry the meatballs until brown all over. Once browned, put to one side.
- Cube the Vegan Feta and pop into a bowl. Pour the oil on top and sprinkle 2 Tsp of Paprika on top and leave to marinate.
- Brown the 4 minced cloves of garlic in a bit of oil in a large pan (with a lid).
- Add in the Tomato Puree and cook for a minute.
- Add in the pasta and stir to ensure the pasta is covered in the Tomato Puree and garlic. Then pour in the Red Wine, and the Stock and give everything a good stir.
- Carefully add in the meatballs, cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes.
- Check the pan every five minutes or so to make sure the pasta isn't sticking to the bottom. Carefully use a wooden spoon to loosen the pasta without breaking up the meatballs. After the 15 minutes is up, add in the Lemon juice.
- After the 15 minutes is up, add in the marinated Feta and cook with the lid off for about 5 minutes. Test the pasta and once it's cooked you can take the dish off the heat, cover with the lid and leave for a few minutes while you sort out whatever vegetables you are serving.
Here are some other great dinners!