I love breaded mushrooms, not healthy, no way but an absolutely delicious side or starter. Our Egg Free Breaded Mushrooms are super easy to make, and while faffy (anything with a batter, and breadcrumbs is going to result in messy fingers), they are pretty quick to cook. Do pop them on a rack with paper towel under neither to soak up the drips of fat. That way they stay crispy.
Serve these Egg Free Breaded Mushrooms with Vegan Garlic Mayo as a great side dip (just add a few minced cloves of garlic to vegan mayo) – nice and simple. We add Vegan Parmesan to our breadcrumbs as I think it adds a nice sharpness to the mushrooms (and to be honest I really love Parmesan). Do make sure to add a good grind of salt to the batter, and if you fancy it you could add a 1/4 Tsp of Chilli to the batter, or marinate the mushrooms in a bit of lemon juice and garlic, or soya sauce.
Egg Free Breaded Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Diced Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Dairy Free Milk
- 1 Tbps Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Beer
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed plus 1 Tbps Water, or one eggs worth of commercial egg replacer.
- Good grind of Salt and Pepper
- 200 Grms Small Mushrooms (you can cut them in half if you've got larger mushrooms)
- You can marinate the mushrooms in lemon and garlic, or soya sauce if you like.
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Parmesan (we like Violife)
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Wipe and trim the mushrooms
- Add the vinegar to the dairy free milk and set to one side.
- Add the spices, with a good grind of salt and pepper to the plain flour. Toss the mushrooms in it and set them to one side.
- Whisk the beer, dairy free milk, and ground flax into the left over flour.
Putting it all together
- Put the Breadcrumbs and Vegan Parmesan onto a plate.
- Dip the mushrooms into the batter, and then roll in the breadcrumb mixture. Put to one side.
- I prefer to use a Wok, but a deep frying pan is fine too. Add in the vegetable oil and heat until a few sprinkles of flour sizzle.
- Using a slotted spoon lower a few mushrooms at a time into the hot oil. Allow to brown, and turn over. Remove after about 3 minutes and drain on a rack with some paper towel underneath to catch the drips.
Some other great starters: