Dairy and Egg Free Fried Chicken is an amazing dinner, hot crunchy chicken is just so delicious. Marinated overnight the meat gets super juicy, and the lovely spices infuse the meat with flavour. God knows this isn’t healthy…you can’t deep fry a healthy meal, but gosh its delicious and a wonderful treat. Have it for a summer dinner, pop it into the cool bag for a picnic, or grab a burger, some lettuce and mayonnaise and make yourself a delicious burger.
Dairy Free Fried Chicken
- Wok for Deep Frying
- 8 Boned and skinned Chicken Thighs
- 1 cup Dairy Free Milk - Oatley or Koko
- 1 Vegan Egg Either 1 tsp egg replacer and 2 tbsp water, or 1 tbsp Ground Flax Seed mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper Add in another 1/4 tsp if you like spice
- 1 1/4 cup Plain Flour
- 3/4 cup Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Sunflower Oil - 500-700 ml
- Mix the dairy free milk, cider vinegar, salt and vegan egg together and put to one side
- Mix the paprika, pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper together. Take half the mixture and stir into the milk
- Grab a large Tupperware container, pour in the milk mixture and add the chicken. Make sure each piece is covered and marinate overnight in the fridge or for at least 4 hours.
- When you're ready to cook, take the chicken out of the fridge. Mix the Four, Cornflour and baking powder and other half of the spice mixture together and place on a plate. Take out a piece of chicken, cover in the flour mixture, and place on a plate. Continue til all the pieces are covered. Redip the chicken into the left over marinade, and cover again in the flour. You will have each piece of chicken double dipped in the milk mixture and the flour coating.
- Heat your oil in the Wok - you'll need 500-700 ml. You need the oil to be up to 170°C so use a thermometer. Put the oven on to 160°C 350°F
- When the oil is hot, add in two or three thighs at a time. Be careful - the oil will splatter so gently lower in the chicken. Fry for 4 minutes, then turn over for another 5 minutes. Check the thighs are cooked with a meat thermometer. You are looking for 74°C (165°F) for thighs, 66°C (150°f) for breast meat.
- Pop each piece of cooked chicken onto a baking sheet in the oven, and sprinkle with some salt. It will stay crispy and hot in the oven while you cook the other pieces.
Don’t hesitate to turn this into a delicious burger!
Do add in a nice bean salad to go with the chicken, it’s good to have something healthy along side the fried chicken!