Always a bit tricky this one…you can’t just replace the butter with a dairy free alternative as the texture is too solid. We found that adding a bit of semolina really works to create a vegan version that is melt in the mouth wonderful. A really simple recipe for dairy free shortbread that is great for Christmas. Fancy something a bit richer? Add in dairy free chocolate drops.
Free From: Dairy, Soya, Nuts, Eggs
Dairy Free Shortbread
- March 23, 2019
- Print this
- ¾ cup Flora Dairy Free – we find this works better than other brand in this recipe
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 6 oz, 1 ½ cups plain flour sifted
- ¼ cup fine semolina
- Step 1
- Beat the dairy free margarine until it goes a lighter colour. Beat in the caster sugar until combined and the mixture looks fluffy.
- Step 2
- Then stir in the flour and semolina. I need to use my hands to bring it all into a ball.
- Step 3
- It should be a soft dough, which is very pliable.
- Step 4
- We like our shortbread quite sweet. So we dust the board with a bit of caster sugar and roll out the dough quite thick – about ½ inch. Then cut into stars, bells, trees or just circles. If you go for stars bear in mind that that pointy bits will brown a bit darker than the rest of the biscuit. We make ours quite small – the cutters are no more than 2 inches across. If you make larger biscuits increase the cooking time.
- Step 5
- Place on a very lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Step 6
- You end up with a flaky, wonderful, rich shortbread. We added some edible stars to ours this year. You can keep them plain or decorate as you wish.