Dairy Free Scones are hard to find out there, so we make our own. For a really indulgent treat whip up some coconut cream and layer it on top with some jam. Sure…it’s not clotted cream but who cares!?? It’s delicious and decadent and a really lovely treat with a cup of tea.
Who says us allergy folk can’t have a cream tea? (And yes I know it’s not Strawberry jam in the photo – my husband was appalled. But I’m Canadian so it’s Blueberry all the way!).
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Nuts,
Preheat oven: 220°C 425°F
Lightly grease a baking sheet
Dairy Free Scones
- March 20, 2019
- Print this
- 6 oz. self-raising flour and 2 oz. strong bread flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 oz. sugar
- 140 ml dairy free milk (I used Koko coconut milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 oz. Trex Vegetable Fat
- 3 oz. raisins
- Step 1
- First off add the tsp of apple cider vinegar to the dairy free milk and leave to one side
- Step 2
- Sift the flours, baking powder and baking soda together.Rub in the fat until you have the consistency of breadcrumbs
- Step 3
- Stir in the sugar then stir in the milk until you have a quite sticky dough
- Step 4
- Lightly flour a board and turn out the dough onto it
- Step 5
- Knead until you have a smooth dough – I sprinkled a bit more flour on top. It takes a good 5 minutes or so to get the right consistency
- Step 6
- Vegan Scone Dough After Kneading
- Step 7
- Roll out the dough to about ½ inch thick
- Step 8
- I didn’t cut out the scones with a pastry cutter because when I did that I got little bits of cut raisins in the dough and it didn’t look great. If you are doing plain scones then a pastry or cookie cutter will work fine. Just reroll the left over bits.
- Step 9
- I just tore a…well scone sized…piece of dough off and shaped it. It worked absolutely fine and I didn’t have any raisins sticking out the edges.
- Step 10
- Vegan Scones Shaped
- Step 11
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes or so. Cool on a wire rack and serve with whipped coconut cream and jam for a real treat.
Here’s the link to the whipped cream recipe: