Dairy Free Potato and Bacon Croquettes are a fabulous side dish – everything you want – crispy on the outside with a mashed potato filling packed with cheese and bacon. Do use Mushrooms instead of bacon if you want to make this meat free. Like all Croquettes these Dairy Free Potato and Bacon Croquettes need to be shallow fried. I find that the fat always spits a bit so do be careful. I’ve used Panko breadcrumbs for the covering, but sometimes they are a bit chunky for my taste so I pop them in the Pestle and Mortar and grind them up a tad.
Dairy Free Potato and Bacon Croquettes
- 4 Medium Potato's or about 2 cups of mashed potato
- 6 Rashers Bacon - cooked to be nice and crisp
- 1/2 Onion Diced small
- 1/2 Cup Dairy Free Cheese - Sometimes I use Violife Parmesan, sometimes Vegan Mozzarella. It depends if I want a stronger flavour, or a more stretchy consistency.
- 1 Tbsp Dairy Free Milk
- 1 Tbsp Dairy Free Margarine
- 1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs Spread out on a large plate
- 2 'Eggs' Egg Replacer - We use Orgran, but you can also use Aquafaba if you like. Just whip it up in a bowl.
- 1 Cup Flour with a bit of salt and pepper
- Peel, boil and mash your potatoes. Allow to cool
- Fry the onion until translucent, and the bacon until crisp. Break the bacon up into 'bits'.
- Mix the bacon, onion, cheese, dairy free milk and dairy free margarine into the mashed potatoes.
- Shape the potato mixture into logs, roll in the flour, dip in the egg replacer, and roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Get a large frying pan, add about a cup of vegetable oil and heat gently until 350℉, 175℃ or until a cube of bread fries quickly to a nice brown colour in a couple of minutes.
- With a slotted spoon gently add in the croquettes and cook for 5-7 minutes. Carefully turn them every minute or so to get an even colour. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot.
Some other nice side dishes: