This is a quick, easy and nutritious soup. We love Dairy Free Lentil Soup – with a dollop of coconut yoghurt swirled in it’s the ultimate comfort food. A bit of nice, warm bread and you’ve perfection. I top it with Spinach and Crispy Fried Onions, but you could top it with Fresh Coriander if you like, or chopped up Carrot tops.
If you’re allergic to peanuts be aware that they are related to lentils (legumes) so this isn’t the recipe for you. Take a look at some of our other great soup recipes instead.
Free From: Dairy, Egg, Gluten
Dairy Free Lentil Soup
- 2 Cups Red Lentils
- 1 1/2 Litres Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger Fresh is great if you have it
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 5 Cloves Garlic - Minced
- 1 Medium Onion - Chopped
- 1 Medium Carrot - grated
- 2 Tbsp Dairy Free Yoghurt
- Handful of spinach to shred on top
- Dry Fried Onions - We like Kelly Loves Sushi Fried Onions. We keep a tube in the cupboard.
- Fry the onion in a little oil until soft, add in the garlic and leave to sizzle for a minute. Then add in the Paprika, Ginger and Cuman and stir.
- Mix in the lentil and cover with the spices, add in the grated carrot.
- Pour in the stock and simmer for 30 minutes. You can add in more stock if you like a thinner soup. Stir in the yoghurt.
- After 30 minutes the lentils will be nice and soft. Finely chop your spinach and put on top and sprinkle with fried onions.
Homemade bread is great with soup – here’s our Vegan Soda Bread Recipe.