Curry’s are always popular in our house – we don’t go super hot – more on the mild side but you can add in more chilli’s if you prefer. Even though its mild, this Dairy Free Chicken, Spinach and Lentil curry is packed with flavour and is one of our favs for a Friday night. It’s a fab way to use up left over chicken (from our Sunday roast) but by all means cut up fresh chicken and use that instead. I’ve used Green Lentils but that’s because its what I had at home, and they are robust enough to hold their shape. If you opt for Red Lentils they are more delicate so they will go soft and a bit mushier.
Serve with home made flat breads and rice for the perfect Friday night curry.
Dairy Free Chicken, Spinach and Lentil Curry
- 750 grms Chicken - diced Or left overs like we used here
- 1/2 cup Green Lentils
- 250-300 grms Fresh Spinach More if you prefer
- 1 Onion - Chopped
- 5 Cloves Garlic - crushed
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger - grated
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tsp Coriander Seeds -crushed
- 1 Tsp Black Mustard Seeds - crushed
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Red Chilli - Chopped
- 8 Tbsp Dairy Free Yoghurt
- Chop the Onion, peel and grate the Ginger, and chop up your Chilli
- Grind the Coriander and Mustard Seeds together in a pestle
- Fry the onion in a bit of oil, then add all the spices and garlic and cook for a few minutes
- If you are using fresh chicken, add it now and fry briefly to brown
- Add the lentils and stock, cover and allow to simmer for 1 hour
- After an hour, if you are using left over chicken, add the chicken and allow to heat through. Add salt and pepper.
- Just before serving add in the Spinach and allow to wilt, then stir in the Yoghurt
If you fancy making Naan – here’s a pretty simple recipe