For a long time Molly’s reflux meant that curry was off the menu. But her stomach is much better now, and we can enjoy a Dairy Free Chicken Curry anytime we like. This Dairy Free Chicken Curry has a sauce based on Cashew Nuts which makes it rich and delicious.
When you’re chopping your chilli – I hold the chilli with a paper towel so my fingers don’t get ‘chilled’. You can serve this will plain rice, or go for a more spicy version like we have here. To spice up rice, just use stock instead of water, and add in some chilli powder or turmeric.
Dairy Free Chicken Curry
- 8 Chicken Thighs You can use a mix of breasts and thighs if you like
- 30 grms Fresh Ginger, Peeled and chopped
- 1 Fresh Red Chilli Chopped Up
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 tsp Turmeric
- 140 grms Unsalted Cashew Nuts
- 1 tbsp Plain Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Onion - Diced
- 3 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Coconut Yoghurt or Soya
- 250 ml Chicken Stock
- 75 ml Oatley Cream
- 75 ml Water
- Preheat your oven to 180°C 360°F
- Pop a small frying pan on the heat, add the oil and briefly fry the coriander seeds and cloves until they start to pop. Watch them carefully so they don't burn - this takes a minute or two only.
- Put the water, Oatley, Cashews, Chilli, Ginger, Garlic, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Toasted Coriander Seeds and Cloves into a food processor and whiz until you've a smooth paste.
- Brown the chicken in a large frying pan, and put to one side. Then fry the onion in the same pan.
- Make the chicken stock, and add in the paste and Yoghurt. Whisk to combine.
- In a large casserole, place the chicken and onions, and then pour over the curry sauce. Take a tablespoon of hot water and deglaze the pan you fried the chicken and onions in and add the liquid to the casserole, being sure to scrap up any any tasty brown bits from the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pop in the oven at 180°C 360°F for 40-45 minutes. Serve with rice and a side salad.
If you’re looking for a quick and delicious way to use up left over Chicken then check out our Dairy Free Lemon Ginger Chicken.