We love caramel in our house. I’ve always preferred it to chocolate, and it works in so many ways. This is a lovely, Dairy Free Caramel sauce that can go on ice cream, drizzle onto cake or bake into brownies for a wonderful rich result. It’s quick to do but you must stand over it and watch carefully. If you over cook it then you’ll have some lovely caramels to eat! We keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days and dip into it as the mood takes us. If you want a darker Vegan Caramel Sauce then use dark brown sugar.
If you are looking for inspiration – check out our Vegan Caramel Shortbreads!
Dairy Free Caramel Sauce
- March 1, 2019
- Print this
- ½ cup Pure Sunflower margarine
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ½ cup golden syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Step 1
- You need to pay attention to the sauce so don’t wander off to do anything else and leave it. If you have a thermometer keep it ready by the side. Do have a bowl or jar ready to pour the sauce into
- Step 2
- In a heavy bottomed pan place the sugar, syrup and margarine over a medium heat. As the margarine and sugars melt whisk the mixture until smooth. As the mixture starts to warm up grab a wooden spoon and give it a stir to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Step 3
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil but make sure it doesn’t boil over! The mixture will start to thicken (keep giving it a good stir). Grab your thermometer and check the temperature. You need to keep an eye on the temperature to make sure it doesn’t get too hot. So check often
- Step 4
- Once you reach 230ºF then you’ve reached the right temperature for a nice sauce. Take it off the heat and add the coconut cream, vanilla and salt. Whisk and pop back on the heat and bring back to the boil for a 3-5 minutes – take off the heat when you reach 220ºF and check the consistency
- Step 5
- If it’s a bit thin keep it on the heat for a minute or two more
- Step 6
- Pour the sauce into a contained to cool down and don’t touch the sauce as it’s blisteringly hot!
- Step 7
- If you don’t have a thermometer then have a glass of cold water ready by the side. Dribble a few drops of sauce into the cold water – if you can form a soft ball with a few flicks with your finger then it’s the right consistency for a sauce. If you’re making sauce, but over cook it, (cough, ahem) then change plans and make caramels!