Dairy Free Aubergine Lasagne a great Vegan option – perfect for dinner, or a vegetarian/vegan option if you’re serving a crowd and have beef lasagne as well. For the Dairy Free Mozzarella I like either Sheese Mozzarella or Vitalite Melting Grated Vegan Cheese. The Vitalite one really does melt nicely.
You can spice this up a bit if you like, by adding chilli to the tomato sauce but we prefer going heavy on the Basil instead. This tomato sauce is very similar to our Simple Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce, it’s a good base sauce to use for a quick supper. For the white sauce I use Oatley as we prefer the taste – but any dairy free milk will do.
Serve this Dairy Free Aubergine Lasagne with a warm baguette and some side salad.
Vegan Aubergine Lasagne
- 2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Onion - diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tsp Worchester Sauce
- 1 Bunch Fresh Basil - Chopped 1 1/2 Tbsp of dry if you don't have fresh
- 1/4 Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 Cups Dairy Free Milk - We use Oatley
- 1/4 Cup Dairy Free Margarine
- 1/4 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 Aubergines - Sliced into 6 slices each
- 1 Cup Grated Violife Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Grated Vegan Melting Cheese - either Sheese Mozzarella or Vitalite Melting Cheese
- Fry the onion in a bit of Olive Oil until translucent and then add the minced garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- Tip in the tinned Tomatoes, add the stock and Worchester Sauce and bring to a low simmer.
- Add in the fresh chopped Basil and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper
- Melt the dairy free butter in a heavy bottomed pan, stir in the flour and cook the mixture for a few minutes. It will come together in a ball, and sizzle a bit.
- Grab a whisk, and slowly add in the Dairy Free milk and whisk as you go. Add in the mustard and whisk again. Allow to bubble on a low heat for 8-10 minutes, whisking occasionally and then put to one side once it's thickened enough to cover the back of a wooden spoon. Cover with clingfilm. If a skin forms, simply reheat and whisk again.
Putting it all together
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, 350°F
- Slice your Aubergines into 6 slices each. Fry lightly in a bit of olive oil to soften.
- In a square Lasagne dish spoon 1/2rd of the Tomato Sauce on the bottom, add a layer of Aubergine, spoon 1/3 of the White Sauce on top. Sprinkle 1/3 of the Parmesan on top. Then layer on enough Lasagne Pasta sheets to cover.
- Add another layer as above. You'll finish with the Lasagne Sheets - then pour the last 1/3rd of the White Sauce on top of the Pasta and spread out. Sprinkle the final 1/3rd of the Parmesan, and all of the melty Vegan Mozzarella on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Other options for a lovely supper: