We love Crispy Tofu Wraps – a quick supper that’s always tasty. You can add all sorts of things to wraps – caramelised onion, peppers, grated carrot – for these we’ve gone for Mango chunks, fresh Avocado and a drizzle of Coriander and Lime oil. I also added in some Pineapple to mine, but the picture looked really odd so I haven’t shown it.
You can cube your Tofu, or cut it in batons if you prefer. Molly is able to create beautiful wraps with the wrap sealed so nothing falls out, I don’t seem to have the knack so I just roll and hold them very tightly.
Crispy Tofu Wraps
- 1 Block Plain Tofu
- 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 4-6 Wraps
- 1/2 Cup Basmati Rice Add in 2 tbsp chopped Coriander
- 1 Mango - Chopped Up
- 1 Avocado - sliced
- Drain your Tofu, pat it dry and cut into batons, or cubes
- Mix the Paprika, with the Cumin and the flour. Spread on a plate.
- Toss the Tofu in the flour mixture until covered. The flour soaks in a bit, so I toss the cubes a few times.
- Cook your rice in the normal way, when it's done, drain it and add in 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh Coriander.
- Chop up the Mango into chunks, and slice your Avocado.
- Sweet Chilli Sauce is also nice with this, I went for Coriander and Lime oil from Waitrose. If you want to make your own, chop one bunch Coriander (finely), mince 2 cloves of garlic and whisk with 6 tbps Olive Oil and 3 Tbsp Lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok, or deep frying pan with about and inch of vegetable oil. To test the heat I drop a pinch of the flour mixture into the oil - if is sizzles it's ready to go. Gently, so you don't splatter, lower in the Tofu. It should be pretty much covered in the oil. Let it fry for 3 minutes, then gently turn over for another 2 minutes. Remove when it's clearly nice and crispy. Drain on paper towel to absorb some of the grease.
- Put everything on the table and let people assemble their wraps.