Coconut rice is a great addition to any meal, it’s a lovely way to do rice as it adds flavour to an otherwise bland side dish. We love pilafs but they take some time – this is pretty quick and super simple. We use coconut rice when we are doing a stir fry or curry.
- November 18, 2019
- Print this
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1tbs chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- Step 1
- This is a super easy recipe. You do need to keep an eye on it to ensure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan, so that means the occasional use of a flat wooden spatula to check the bottom of the pan.
- Step 2
- In a pan, on a low heat, mix together the water, sugar, coconut milk and salt. I have to give it all a whisk to get the coconut milk smooth
- Step 3
- Add in the rice, cover with a tight lid, and bring to a low simmer
- Step 4
- Check every now and then to make sure the rice isn’t sticking to the bottom of the pan but in the main just leave it bubbling away quietly for 17-20 minutes
- Step 5
- As you get close to the 15-17 minute mark taste the rice to check when done, the rice should have a bit of bite to eat. At the end of the cooking time you should have a pan of sticky rice with no left over liquid
- Step 6
- To serve sprinkle with coriander.