I love Daal…grab a flatbread and dip away, or pour it over some rice. Lentils are one of those great, cheap, sources of protein. Cooked slowly with loads of spices they make a great, easy supper.
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Margarine
- 2 Tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 Onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 Garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger - grated
- 1 Red Chilli - chopped up Make it two if you want it spicier
- 1 1/4 Cup Red Lentils
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Cream
- 1 Cup Coconut milk
- Melt the vegan butter in a large pan, add the mustard and cumin seeds and cover. When they start to pop, add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the turmeric and chillies and stir
- Add in the lentils and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to cover them in the spices and butter
- Add in the water, coconut milk and coconut cream. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- You can sprinkle with desiccated coconut if you like before serving, or chopped coriander.
If you like your Daal thicker – then reduce the water by 1/4 cup, or cook, cool and reheat for 15 minutes.
Take a look at our Naan recipe and Coconut Rice – both are great with this.