This is a great mid week supper – quick and tasty. We love the mix of Maple Syrup and Cardamom poured over the Chicken which seeps into the Sweet Potato’s as the dish cooks. The Chicken sits in it’s marinade as you chop up the Sweet Potatoes and Onions, you can pop it in the night before if you’re after a stronger flavour but it’s lovely as it is. No need to add Rice or Potatoes, just do some greens on the side. Oh…and I use Red Onions for the colour, but don’t go out to get these if you’ve white onions sitting in the cupboard.
Chicken Maple and Cardamom Tray Bake
- 2 Sweet Potatoes - peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 Red Onions - chopped in quarters
- 6-8 Chicken Thighs
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom I empty the seeds from pods into a Pestle and Mortar and grind them
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to 180°C, 360°F
- Mix the Maple Syrup, Cardamom, Nutmeg, and Lemon Juice together. Pour over the Chicken thighs and turn the thighs over to cover completely. Leave to one side while you get the other bits ready. You can do this the night before if you like, but it's lovely without an overnight marinade.
- Peel and chop up your Sweet Potatoes into cubes, and peel and chop the Red Onion into quarters. Toss in a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large roasting dish add a tablespoon (or splosh) of oil, and add in the Chicken thighs. Then put the Sweet Potatoes and Onions around the thighs. Pour the left over marinade over the thighs.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes until the thighs are cooked through and a lovely brown colour. Corners of the Sweet Potatoes will be nice and caramelised. Once you've moved everything to a platter, pour the remaining juices into a bowl and serve on the side. The juices are a lovely mix of Maple, Cardamom and Chicken juices. If you've decided to have some rice, it's lovely on top!
Fancy some other ideas for Chicken Dinners? Here are some of our favourites.