Tray bakes are great – the flavours mix so nicely. Often they are popular because you just toss everything together. You can do that with this dish if you like, however, I love frying the potatoes in the chicken fat to make the skins super crispy. If you don’t have Limes, just use two Lemons instead.
When your making the paste – either use a food processor to make sure it’s smooth, or spend enough time with a Pestle and Mortar to get the garlic completely mashed. If there are lumps…they will burn when you brown the chicken thighs. We always use thighs as we prefer dark meat, but if you use breasts reduce the cooking time in the oven by 10 minutes.
Chicken Lemon Olive Tray Bake
- 6 Chicken Thighs
- 1 lb Small Potatoes Or 4 small potatoes per person
- 1 Lemon - sliced thinly
- 1 Lime - sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/3 Cup Sliced Green Olives
- 1 Onion - Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- Preheat the oven to 180°C 350°F
- Put the Sea Salt, Garlic, Coriander Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Paprika, Turmeric, Cumin and Lemon Juice into the food processor and whiz until smooth
- Spread the paste over the thighs, and put to one side for an hour or more to marinate.
- Boil the small potatoes for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked. Drain and allow to cool
- Chop the onion and the olives and put to one side
- After the chicken has marinated, brown each chicken piece and move to a casserole dish
- Fry the onion in the chicken fat and add to the casserole dish.
- Quickly fry the potatoes in the same pan that you browned the Chicken in.
- Scrap everything into the casserole, add the sliced lemon, lime and olives
- Add in 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- Cook for 40 minutes, but do check part way through the cooking time and add a splash more of Chicken Stock if it's needed.
Here are some other lovely Chicken recipes: