This is a fab recipe for an elegant supper. Pretty simple to do, as it’s stuffed with Basil and Parma Ham you don’t have any leaking issues to deal with. Coated in Panko Bread Crumbs to give that lovely crisp coating that locks in the tenderness of the chicken breast.
I use Vegan Egg to coat the chicken, but if you’re stuck you can whisk 2 tbsp cornflour in with 5 tbsp water and use that. It doesn’t stick as well, but it does the job. Similarly, I like Panko breadcrumbs for their crunchiness, but you can use old bread to make breadcrumbs if you prefer.
Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Parma Ham and Basil
- 4 Skinned and boned Chicken Breasts
- 1 Pack Parma Ham
- 1 Bag Fresh Basil Leaves
- 300 g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Vegan Egg (or any egg substitute) plus 5 tbsp of water If you're using a different egg substitute reduce the amount of water the instructions call for - you want a slightly thicker liquid
- 4 tbsp Melted Dairy Free Margarine To drizzle over the chicken breasts part way through cooking.
- A bit of oil
- Preheat your oven to 180°C 370°F, Put a bit of oil on a baking sheet. Just before you finish doing the chicken breasts you will pop the pan in the oven to heat the oil.
- Whisk the egg replacer and water together in a decent sized bowl, and empty the Panko Breadcrumbs onto a large plate.
- Take each chicken breast, and on the thick side cut a pocket by cutting down the side of the chicken breast. Start at the fat end, leaving the thin, pointy end of the chicken breast as it is. You will need to cut into the breast to make a deep enough pocket without cutting through the top of the breast. Remember - there is nothing to leak out so if it's not perfect don't worry!
- Stuff a piece of Parma Ham into the pocket - I fold it in two and try to keep it as flat as possible (it takes a bit of fiddling), Then add a good 4 or 6 Basil leaves if they are large, or more if the are small. Press the breast together between the palm of your hands.
- Make sure the breadcrumbs are spread evenly out on a big plate, then dip the chicken breast into the Vegan Egg to completely cover it., Place the breast top side down, onto the breadcrumb plate. Flip the chicken breast over and coat the bottom with the Panko crumbs too. You're hands will get messy, and you may need to press breadcrumbs onto the side of the breast to get even coverage. Place the chicken breast onto another plate and continue til all four chicken breasts are coated. You will need to re-spread the crumbs to make it an even bed after each breast. Before you do the last breast, pop your pan in the oven for the oil to heat up.
- Your pan should be hot in the oven, but the oil shouldn't be smoking. Take the pan out and place the chicken breast on it, and pop back into the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take the melted margarine and drizzle a tablespoon over each breast. Work reasonably quickly so they don't loose too much heat.
- Serve with rice or new potatoes and a salad.
Our Dairy and Egg Free Raspberry Cheesecake would be a great dessert.