Chicken and Red Pepper Rice is warm and delicious meal that has wonderful spicy rice cooked with the chicken. If you want meat free you can just leave the chicken out and cook this in the oven for a great rice dish. This dish is also great with a bit of Chorizo added. it’s not the quickest dish to prepare, but it is worth the effort as the rice is full of spice and flavour.
There are three stages to the dish – making the spicy stock, pureeing the peppers and onions and browning the chicken. Start with stock as that can bubble away while you do the other bits. If you want a Spicer dish, then add some Red Chilli into the stock.
Chicken and Pepper Rice
- 600 ml Chicken Stock
- 2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 inch Piece of Ginger - diced
- 1 Tsp Fish Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
Red Pepper Base
- 3 Red Peppers, cored and quartered
- 1 1/2 Diced Red Onions
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Tsp Chilli
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 10 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Tabasco
- 8 Chicken pieces - thighs and drum sticks
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Paprika
- 500 Grms Basmati Rice - Rinsed
- 1/3 Cup Peas
- Put the chicken in a bowl, pour over the olive oil and sprinkle the Paprika on top. Stir and leave to one side to marinate. If you can do this in the morning all the better, otherwise just leave it to one side while you do all the other bits.
- Add a bit of oil to a medium sized pot and briefly fry the Garam Masala. Then add in the Ginger, stir and add in the Chicken Stock. Leave to simmer for 30 mins.
- Seed and chop the Red Peppers. Add to a food processor and puree. Add in the Onions, Garlic, Tabasco, Chilli and Tomato Puree. Whiz until it's smooth. Then pop in a frying pan and cook briefly over a low heat. Put to one side.
- Brown the Chicken Pieces in the casserole that you're going to use so all the juices are part of the dish. Brown a few pieces at a time and put to one side.
Put it all together
- Take the casserole, and add the Red Pepper puree. Cook briefly and mix the juices and puree together. Strain the stock, and check that you've got 600ml. Add the rice to the puree mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes making sure that all the rice is covered in the puree. Add the stock, then pop the chicken on top.
- Put in the oven 180℃ 370℉ for 45 minutes.
- After 20 minutes add the peas.
- Part way through check the rice and give it a bit of a stir if the top layer needs it, you can also add another 50ml of water if needed.
Some other great dishes: