We will be bankrupt if we keep buying store bought hummus so decided to make it ourselves. Gosh – it’s super easy and we can adjust the recipe to be just the way we like it. This one has caramelised onions in it. A sweet hummus that goes beautifully with flat breads.
Flat breads are really easy to make, try our recipe here.
Free From: Gluten, Eggs, Dairy, Soya
Caramelised Onion Hummus
- March 21, 2019
- Print this
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 medium onion - diced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp liquid from the tin of chick peas
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Step 1
- First slice the onion thinly and add to a frying pan with a bit of olive oil and the brown sugar. Fry over a lowish heat until you get a beautiful golden colour. This takes a good 20 minutes. Set to one side to cool.
- Step 2
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve the liquid.
- Step 3
- Throw the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic,olive oil, tahini and sea salt into the blender. Blend til smooth. You will have a very thick hummus at this point. I prefer mine a bit runnier so I add in 2 tbsp of liquid from the tin and whizz it again.
- Step 4
- Stir in the caramelised onion (reserving a bit for the top) and serve with flatbreads, carrot and cucumber.