This is a basic Vegan Cheese sauce that you can use with pasta, pour over nacho’s, or pour over stuffed pasta shells. It’s simple and tastes great.
You will need to buy Nutritional Yeast for this sauce. Its available all over the place these days, but if you’re stuck try Holland and Barrett. Its gives that cheesy flavour, that you need so the sauce isn’t too bland. I’m going to try to make a cheese sauce with the new, strong Violife cheddar as the base without Nutritional Yeast and see how it goes. But for now, Nutritional Yeast is a good thing to have in your cupboard if you are dairy free for Vegan.
We always add onions to our sauces, do make sure you chop them finely so they don’t stand out too much. This keeps well for several days, so sometimes I have it around for a quick cheese sauce pasta lunch. Add in some pea’s, and maybe some roasted cauliflower and it’s great.
How thick you like your cheese sauce is a matter of opinion, if I’m using this to pour over a pasta bake I reduce the Corn Flour by 1/2 tbsp so it’s a bit lighter.
If you fancy a different pasta sauce take a look at our Vegan Pesto and Nut sauce here:
Basic Vegan Cheese Sauce
- December 5, 2020
- Print this
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cups of Koko Coconut Milk or any Non Dairy Milk
- 1 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 cup grated Violife Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dairy free margarine
- Step 1
- Melt the margarine in a heavy based saucepan and sauté the onion until soft and slightly coloured. Add in the yeast, grated cheese, cornflour, mustard and lemon juice and stir
- Step 2
- Grab a whisk and slowly add in the milk whisking while you go. Whisk the sauce while it heats up…you’re not looking to get it boiling, but rather hot enough to have the cheese melt and make a lovely thick sauce.Heat it to the point that its bubbling a bit at the edges
- Step 3
- Once done, and cooling, you can cover with cling film so a skin doesn’t form